Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Thing About Barbarians

Conan the. Kull the Conqueror. Red Sonja. When I think of the archetypical barbarian, these are the names that pop into my head.

A lot of games tend to package the barbarian and the berserker together, and the truth is, that isn't necessarily necessary. On top of that, working out raging mechanics for a game where they don't exist makes shit complicated.

Let's keep it simple.

My group and I primarily play James Raggi's Lamentations of the Flame Princess. First game part of the Old School Renaissance I bought into, and yes, primarily for the name.

So how do barbarian?

Well, trying not to break the game here:

Save and advance as a fighter, first off. Makes the most sense. Next most sense; save and advance as a dwarf. Get your Gotrek on.

My barbarians keep the typical attack bonus ( 1 +Strenght Mod) and instead receive a graduating bonus to attack damage. +2 at first level, +3 at second level, so on . . .

Catch is they can't be anymore than lightly encumbered to receive this bonus attack damage.

I suppose you could armor up and run around punching shit to death, and I'd roll with it. It's funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment